July 24, 2011

Guitar Legend

Clapton: The AutobiographyClapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had no intention of reading this book but I came across the companion CD which I did want. I had just finished reading Pattie Boyd's (ex-wife of Eric Clapton and George Harrison)"Wonderful Tonight" and I had enjoyed it very much. What better way to see if her story matched that of Clapton, so I bought his book and the CD. Clapton's arrogance is bold and rampant throughout the book, yet as much as his arrogance frustrated me, I believed that insecurity and shyness lay beneath the surface. I found that everytime Clapton reached major success as a solo artist, he sought safety within a band.

His early life is heartbreaking, interesting, and fascinating, the later years not so much. The lack of interest for the latter part of the book could be due to the lack of arrogance that drew me in initially. To his credit, he was true to his opinion of life with Pattie. So kudos to him for being honest and supporting her version of life with Eric.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment