May 19, 2011

I Think We're Alone Now

Me, the Mob, and the Music: One Helluva Ride with Tommy James & The ShondellsMe, the Mob, and the Music: One Helluva Ride with Tommy James & The Shondells by Tommy James

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have always enjoyed the music of Tommy James and have recently found myself listening to his music more than usual, so when I came across this book I just had to pick it up. If you are looking for an in depth insight to the man behind the music - you will not find it here. The book focuses on his love/hate relationship with Morris Levy, the head of Roulette Records. You get a little bit of Tommy's life in Niles, Michigan and the events that brought him into the world of music but the story is about the mob and the music, mainly the mob's control over Tommy's music and ultimately his personal life.

I found myself wanting to know more about the person and a few tidbits are sprinkled throughout but never given any focus of their own. I could not help but wonder why he as an artist tolerated the manipulation and control the record company had over him. I guess it is one of those things that as an outsider looking in, it is easy to have an opinion but only understood by the person in the situation.

In spite of the lack of a larger story, I did like the book and finished it in two days. However, my question was never answered. What does the title Crimson and Clover mean, and what is the song about?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment